||Atkins Low Carbohydrate Diet plan
8 oz / 225 g dark semisweet chocolate (40-45% cocoa)
5 oz / 2/3 cup / 140 g butter
7½ oz / 1 cup / 210 g sugar
4 heaped tablespoons / almost ½ cup / 1 dl / 60 g flour
4 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
2 teaspoons baking soda or baking powder
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
4 tablespoons / ¼ cup sour cream
1. Preheat oven to 180 deg C / 350 deg F / Gas mark 4.
2. Line a 9 inch / 23 cm cake tin (circular) with greaseproof or other non-stick paper and grease the tin.
3. Break the chocolate into small pieces and melt it with butter over hot water.
4. Beat the eggs with sugar, mix with flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and vanilla extract.
5. Slowly fold in the melted butter and chocolate and the sour cream.
6. Bake at 350 degrees for 50 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in centre comes out clean.
7. Cool the cake. Remove the crusted surface on the top of the cake, and cut in half, horizontally.
1. Heat 2/3 cups (1.6 dl) of heavy cream or whipping cream in a sauce pan.
2. Remove from heat, add 9 oz (260 g) of finely chopped dark semisweet chocolate, and stir until smooth.
3. To test it, transfer a tbs of the frosting into a chilled cup and place in the fridge for 15 minutes. If it is too thin, add some more melted chocolate. It it is too thick, add a few tablespoons of cream, stir until smooth, and test it again.
4. This cake should have room temperature when served to have soft frosting.